Monday, July 8, 2013

Failure - a rant

What does it mean to succeed?  A brief, although none-too-comprehensive search for definitions gives us a succinct, "to attain a desired object or end", as if success is entirely based on an expected outcome.  Everything is standardized and ranked as your "level of success" or "percentile".  This fetish with ranking creates an even narrower sense of success as being better than x percentage of the population.  Anything less is unacceptable.  Anything less is a failure.

In our classes, we have been reading a lot about success, smartness, praise and character.  In the first chapter of Nurture Shock, the authors discuss smartness, praise and motivation.  Constant validation of one's smartness results in a decreased readiness to take risks.  The "cost of failure" is too much, so it's better to simply not try.  This book has been resonating with me.

I come from a family of perfectionists.  When you ask my mother if she ever got B's in school, her response is something along the lines of "no, why would I?".  The truth behind the statement is that she worked tremendously hard at getting A's because she valued it, but the implicit understanding is that only the best is good enough.  From our father, my siblings and I adopted a deeply emotional response to the world.  Anything that was not "perfect" was the worst possible failure.  As a result, we've all struggled with motivation and ambition.  If you're not going to be successful, why bother?  I have mellowed out on this over the years, but it is still a struggle.

After undergrad, I started working with children informally at a science museum in town.  One of the biggest frustrations I experienced on a daily life came not from the kids, but from the parents.  We set up 10 or 20 stations of fun, exciting, interactive activities designed to enthrall students and give them a sense that science is for them.  Nothing was graded or turned in (save for the few exceptions where the school handed out worksheets).  These programs were meant to encourage parental involvement in their students' learning and create that "spark" in a low-pressure environment.  While working a particular station, I frequently asked if a kid knew something.  Often, I would see their mother or father lean over and whisper something in their ear.  Dutifully, the answer would be quoted and the parents beamed.  They were so obsessed with their kids being right.

Technology furthers this obsession.  In our technology class today, one of the conversations was essentially about potential dangers of computers in the classroom.  A fellow student pointed out that in the middle of a discussion or debate in a bar, you can simply pull out your smartphone and suddenly you have the answer.  The conversation continued along these lines for a while.  In the classroom, it is now possible to simply "google" the answer.  We are so obsessed with having the right answer that, according to another intern, we are ashamed to admit that we might not know the capital of St. Lucia (Castries, I checked) or which power is currently controlling which island.

Why are we so obsessed with teaching our children that failure is the ultimate sin?  We need to change this narrative.  Shouldn't our children be learning how to deal with failure rather than simply avoid it?  This obsession with being right and having "the" answer leads us down dangerous paths.  When we never learn how to accept that we can't answer a question, we eventually stop asking and when we stop asking, we take one further step from humanity.

8 comments:

  1. David, if this is a rant, then please keep ranting.
    All I want to say in response is that you have identified a challenge worthy of an entire career's worth of teaching "practice." If you can make your science classroom safer for "failure," and maybe even convince some of your students (and maybe even a parent or two) that it is only through what some label as failure that our knowledge about phenomena in the world has deepened, you will have done some sacred work.
    It is surely bad practice to recommend books that one hasn't read, but two of my project colleagues have been enthusiastically telling me about and recommending that I read the book "Ignorance: How It Drives Science" by Stuart Firestein. Reading your post, my sense is that Firestein's book, which references the idea of ignorance in a literal, not a pejorative sense, would speak to you....tuck it away on your future readings list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, in total lack of anything else going on, I went ahead and bought that book and have gotten through a little bit. I'm interested in continuing it...it seems to speak to me pretty well. You should read it too! But what if I don't finish it? Would that be a "failure"?

      (of course, that last question was not serious...)

      Delete
  2. David I really enjoyed reading your post and this idea of failure has really resonated with me as well. I was as brought up in a family that highly valued educational success and when I was younger I interpreted this to mean that I needed to be perfect. After failing a class in college I realized that being perfect never taught me as much as that failure had. I learned about what the best way for me to approach difficult subjects or tasks are, how best to deal with a negative overly smart professor and many more things about how I learn. This was an upper division math class and about 30% of the class failed. After the first midterm I went to get help from the professor (the college I attended worked on the quarter system so the first midterm was only about 3 weeks into a 10 week class)and he told me that maybe I shouldn't be a math major. This clearly was not helpful because I was nearly done with my work towards earning a math degree. Thank you for bringing up failure, it is not something I am very comfortable admitting to but I think that recognizing and valuing failure will be incredibly helpful as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my "worst" performance on any exam ever...in Organic Chemistry II, I got a 24% on the exam. This, I'm sad to say, was NOT in the top 10-30% of the class average... I have a wealth of reasons for this grade...not the least of them was that the teacher was horrible beyond words and did nothing to prepare students for the exam. This example is in my head now as writing about ZPD and scaffolding in the classroom...it seems like this "professor" could learn a bit too. In the end, I passed the class and moved on. At the end of the day...that 24% is just a number.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Way to go, David! It sounds like Sarah and I grew up in similar homes with expectations that were high. My pride also said, "Well. How much can you achieve? How good can you get?" And that became the driving force behind my education through high school and through most of college. Failure wasn't an option and with the need to get the right answer, I sacrificed sleep, relationships, etc. I have not really learned how to fail and learn from it. There have been more experiences of the sort outside of the academic for me that is helping to break this cataract of the-need-to-be-right. I am grateful for what you shared, especially for you calling out a dangerous, but pervasive element of our society- competition. Noddings says it's not a 21st century skill, but it is so very ingrained in our way of thinking, that we do now walk into the classroom without some competitive baggage. What is the balance then between having an excessive amount of competition that leads to needing to be right and not having enough, such that we are not pushed to "do our best"? Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! You ideas were helpful to me on many levels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some regards, I am extremely competitive. I really enjoy pitting my "skill" versus other people in games like scrabble. The problem is that I tend to obsess about being really good. I don't like how I feel when I'm stressed to out compete and be "better than" other people. It's been a huge effort of mine recently to take a step back and put less value on achieving something based on other people's successes and focus on my own journey.

      Delete
  4. Alright so I also agree with this failure idea. I think that has a lot to do with students feeling comfortable in the classroom. Part of the CPR ideology of course. Also, its not something that you just have to worry about in a specific discipline- its something that every teacher has to worry about in their class. Our mentor teacher has told us that he'll spend about two full weeks at the beginning of the year working to get the students comfortable in the classroom so they are ok with having the wrong answer. Which i think is a fantastic idear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think about the CPRs! It's a great place to create that classroom culture surrounding "success" and "failure". Teaching students to put their suggestions in without the value judgement of "right" or "wrong" is essential. Thanks for bringing the CPR into the dialogue!

      Delete