Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A New Adventure Begins

A new adventure has begun.  Having spent seven years free from school and nine months free from work, I have returned to pursue a graduate program in secondary education at the University of Michigan.  This blog will be about all things SCIENCE and all things EDUCATION.

As a first entry, two and half weeks into the program, fellow teaching interns and I were asked to reflect on our technology-in-the-classroom course.  We were tasked with imagining our "ideal classroom" and drawing a simple picture.  Initially, I wanted to do away with all walls and focus strictly on an outdoor setting.  Next, I got an image of those three sided cabins I'd visited when I was a kid.  I struck me that this would be a fascinating idea for a classroom (considering that having an indoor place for storage and escape from bad weather might be desirable).  My design:
For those who can't quite appreciate the beauty of this representation, I sympathize.  Drawing hasn't always been my strongest trait and pen marks bleeding through from the other side don't do much for photo composition...but still...the idea's there.  Essentially, it's a three-walled room, open to forest/prairie/swamp...etc...  There are some desks, some scopes, some storage...but the important part is the outside.  Students should feel that the outside classroom is equally, if not more, important than inside.

The next day, I asked myself WHY these image came into my head as the classroom.  I thought back on all the positive outdoor experiences that have led me to where I am.  When I was young, my family took me hiking. Later, I joined the boy scouts and camped almost every month.  In high school, I took part in several independent study classes which had a heavy field-focus.  In undergrad, I spent two summers at the BioStation.  I have spent countless nights camping outside, and I still don't know even the surface of what there is to even experience.  My senior year, I took a poetry course where we work-shopped with 5th graders from two local schools.  Each week, we spent one day outside, searching for inspiration in nature and jotting down notes and another working together on poetry.

This struck me as a great model for a school.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a school where all the classrooms are open to getting us back in touch with that ethereal thing known as nature?

To ponder the value of connection with the natural world, I end this post with a photo from Lake Superior...mostly because I had it and really like the big lake...

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved your classroom idea. I have actually been in classrooms somewhat like that and they just scream DISCOVERY and INVESTIGATION! Which as we all know, are two very important things in education these days. Especially in science courses. Having an awesome classroom makes children want to come there and thusly I think makes them want to learn. I hope someday you'll get your classroom! I would write more but my internet is about to shut off in order to run wires for a new dryer. I'm going to go outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's get outside! I find it interesting as a side-bar that as I'm typing this, I'm hiding away inside the UGLI, avoiding working on one of the 50 papers due next week...

      Delete
  2. I love your ideal classroom David. All those barriers that cause stress and anxiety in a traditional classroom, just disappear out there. Such classrooms do exist, as Rachel has attested to, regarding her teaching experience with NELP. Maybe it’s something you’d be interested in looking into. It takes place in spring semester, so it wouldn’t work out this year, but maybe sometime in the future it would. I’d love to do something like that, but obviously I’m not just going to take off for six weeks and leave my little kids all orphaned ☺ OMg, my daughter just walked in with a dog?! Do I need another family member in this house?

    Here’s the NELP website if you’re interested

    http://www.lsa.umich.edu/nelp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of NELP and think it would a great model to look at. Thanks for bringing the link to my attention! I would love to take part in it.

      What kind of dog?

      Delete