Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Biology, the game of Life

Recently, we've been discussing the use of game and gaming in a classroom setting.  I've never been a huge fan of video games, but I remember fondly the days of Number and Word Munchers.  We'd spend our "free time" in class learning sight words and multiplication tables.  For history, we'd routinely play Oregon Trail and "learn" all about the westward migration.  Many tragic days, we found that our ox had died, Timmy had lost a leg or somebody got some random disease.  We rolled the dice to see if we'd successfully ford a river.  In math, we even went so far as programing simple games along the lines of Snake and Rodent's Revenge.  Each game taught us simple problem solving skills, mathematical formulas, historical "lessons", homework avoidance techniques and many other important life skills.  On the other hand, all utility aside, what lessons have been dumbed down to scientifically inaccurate and when does that matter?

Today, I seem to have forgotten this element of childhood.  What games now would work?  What would entice students now?  I recently attempted to play a game called Caduceus.  The premise, I'll admit, was pretty cool.  You essentially start out as a student at an academy and are asked to go to some high council to help solve a pressing problem...never mind why.  You are tasked with analyzing phlegm slides for a dangerous contagion.   While slugging your way through endless samples, you cut your finger and you have a Eureka! moment and decide that the problem must be in the blood.  This is where the game actually begins...as do the problems with it.  You are asked to locate the "unique" cells in a slide in order to determine which one(s) is/are responsible.  While teaching kids to analyze evidence for minute details is useful, no diseases are going to be "unique".  I felt this task not only boring, but horrible inaccurate for processes.  Why not have students find the most common?  After about 10 minutes of clicking matches, I "won" and was then taken to a page where I'd have to start an account.

Now, I propose another game that might be fun in the classroom.  Laws of physics seem to hold (save for a few...which are described as "advances in technology") and your only task is to solve the puzzle.  Portal has become one of my favorite games.  You must go through a series of strategic challenges to come to an answer.  There are no other characters and only a few minor gaps in scientific accuracy (save for the whole...in the future thing).

I think there is a future for gaming in school because of the simple fact that kids love games.  If you can find ones that are 1) fun, 2) challenging and 3) accurate, then you're set.  The problems begin when you're lacking in any of these categories.

4 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be cool if you could just turn your classroom into a quarantined research facility working with the CDC on how to stop the zombie virus? I think a real life simulation about studying contagions would be much more fun and effective than a computer game.

    That said, there probably are some really great computer games out there that can teach a lot about science. I've wanted to play portal for awhile and now that I know it has some educational value, I have an excuse. Lucky for you, you also have an excuse to play games as you search for ones that will serve your students well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. CDC is interesting. My high school was essentially across the street from the CDC, so it sounds like it would work especially well there. Interestingly enough, with all the fallout around September 11, my school had a pretty serious evacuation plan in effect in case something hit. Your example of a game might be just a little bit closer to real-life than you thought.

      Delete
  2. Memories of Oregon Trail... perhaps the only computer game I ever used in school. I really like your last statement about what a "good" game for students would include and how these concepts are mutually inclusive for success. I'm working on a paper about ZPD right now and am wondering, are computer/video games generally adaptive? Do they only challenge you within your zone or are there games that simply cannot adapt and that folks are not winning? Now that I'm asking the question, I think I know the answer based on my mad skills with wii table tennis. It doesn't allow me to play the best of the best challengers until I've become a better (virtual) player. So, it can be done, now, how can we make wii table tennis applicable to my ELA classroom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting point. My concept paper was also about ZPD and I didn't think to connect it to gaming. I like the idea of adaptive games...especially when they lead to mad skills with wii tennis.

      Delete