Saturday, November 16, 2013

The many thousands of things that are on the internet

Edublogger - this is a term that I'd not really heard of before the technology class began.  The last time I wrote about an edublogger, I included a link to a fantastic, student-made video all about dinosaurs (10 reasons the dinosaurs are extinct).  I think I'm responsible for a not-insignificant portion of the 150 or so views it's received...so if you've not seen it, you should.  On a related topic, I stumbled upon a parent's blog with a post all about dinosaurs as well!  Some parents decided to declare that November was DiNovember and every night, they posed dinosaur statures in various places around the house.  The dinos got into all sorts of trouble as their kids discovered each morning.   I'm not sure why dinosaurs are in my head recently.  It might have something to do with the fact that in our literacy class, we were discussing ways to get students hooked into reading.  Evidently, we like dinosaurs.

Moving on.  A little more than a year ago, I was investigating hexaflexagons.  "Why?" you might ask...though more likely, you'll ask "what?".  I spent six-seven years working at a children's science museum in town where one of my main job tasks was to create interactive, science and math related activities for preschool - middle school students.  I saw a very "simple" hexaflexagon in action and was impressed and turned to the internet to help me understand what was going on.  Here, I discovered Vi Hart.  This is the video I found:

 

I spent a good portion of my highly productive day repeatedly stopping and restarting this video in order to make one/several and investigate how to teach children the secret.  Ultimately, I ended up with a few good samples and could teach older kids how to make the most basic.  Interested, there is a follow-up video.

Promptly, I forgot about this YouTube channel...never to be seen again until I saw this:


This video led me to her blog and YouTube channel where I've been whiling away time.  Her vlog is reminiscent of Flipping Physics, the flipped classroom presenter in our tech class.  While not overtly a blog dedicated to "education", I think videos like these show students some of the beauty of mathematics, physics and music.  Vi has a talent for giving real-world applications of strange concepts which I think could quite nicely fit in a classroom.

Here are a few more videos to check out in your infinite "free-time"!


2 comments:

  1. Recreational mathematics. This is a phrase I am unfamiliar with but am moderately interested in exploring. I've never been terribly interested in math, it makes me sweat nervously just a little. that being said, I loved the hexaflexagon videos! Do you have extras that you will bring to class? :) Is Vi Hart the narrator/creator of all these videos? What is her story? Teacher, student, math enthusiast? I'm so intrigued, I wish I had all that extra time you were talking about...

    So, will you show any of these in your well-equipped classroom that overlooks the Erie River?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am a little bit more familiar with the term recreational mathematics, I have never hear of a hexiflexigon and I think that is the coolest thing I have seen all day!! I like Eliza are curious to know if you will be incorporating this into class? Also how am I going to incorporate this into my class because it is amazing! Have you looked into any of the math behind this? It seems a little above high school level but I think the exploration may be very useful!

    The other video about imaginary numbers was also incredibly interesting to me. Was there any explanation along with that video? It was pretty powerful I though to be listening to such emotional and powerful words going along with that math.

    ReplyDelete