Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Technology in Gloria Glade

Earlier this term, we all explored what technology is available in our schools and what that might mean for our classes.  My high school (call it Erie HS...you know, next to the Erie River) appears to have many more resources than most other schools represented in our class.  I think this is largely due to Erie High being located within the city of Gloria Glade (or, G-squared, as they like to call it), which is home to a large university.  The city of G2 is relatively affluent with great resources available for students.

At Erie High, teachers can check out a cart full of laptops for classroom use.  In our survey, we discovered that the school (2000 students) has 11 carts, each with 30 laptops.  During class, teachers can then run a session that incorporates technology directly into the curriculum.  Teachers can give class time for students work on papers.  If they don't have enough class time, students can head down to the library and work on a school computer.  It is important to note, however, that all of the school computers can be monitored by the tech staff (which exist) for misuse.  Technically, there the school has filters, but to date, these have not been on.

All the classrooms are equipped with projectors and the teachers are assigned quasi-personal laptops that don't have any filtration software on them (and are not connected to the big-brother in tech).  Teachers can easily hook their machines up for presentations of any kind, be it a powerpoint, video, photo-journal writing activity, audio clip...etc.  In my classroom, we project the daily agenda as well as any bell work for students to start upon entry.


Overall, most of the students have some form of computer, but the school is well equipped to support those that don't.  The tech staff (remember those "big brothers" mentioned above?) are tremendously helpful and enthusiastic in connecting students with resources and well trained in helping them figure out how to accomplish certain tasks.  Regarding personal devices, the school (or at least Mrs. Anonimateacher) does not have a strict no-tech policy.  Cell phones are not allowed to be used for personal business during class, but some teachers will make use of the calculators/cameras/internet for classroom use.

I'm excited to use the many resources available to Erie High of Gloria Glade!

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing about this post that I don't like.

    I'm excited to see how you use the technology when you take over in April. Until then, you must try it all so you know what works best. :) I wonder though, what you might do if you end up working in a school with unreliable or very little technology. Are you seeing the plethora of tech in G2 as a way to enhance the content and will you focus on that rather than coming to rely on it?

    I think I lied when I said that there was nothing about your post that I don't like. I think I'm feeling a twinge of jealousy. I wish our students typed more of their work. I wish we had 300 laptop carts. Eerrr, more than two. But you know what? I think it's all going to be fine. G2 is always going to be G2 and it's great that they have all of these resources! I should feel happy for districts like this one, not focus on what my district doesn't have...

    Anyway, I hope we have the opportunity to talk more about how we are utilizing the tech resources in our placements as the year progresses. Maybe we can chat as we float down the lazy Erie River...

    ReplyDelete